This cute button caterpillar craft will make your kids really happy! This activity will be really good for develop your kids fine motor skills since it includes, tracing, cutting and gluing. You can also practice shapes, colors, and even tell a story about caterpillars! Or, even better, you can introduce it after reading a book about bugs! My personal preference would be: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
Related: DIY Beautiful Gift Box
Are you ready? Let’s go ahead and get started!
The materials you are going to need for your button caterpillar are very simple and you might have them on hand.
- Card stock for the body of the button caterpillar!
- A Pencil and Mason Jar Lids to trace the circles that form your caterpillar.
- Scissors to cut the circles!
- Hot glue/hot glue gun to glue body and buttons. Note: Please, please! Depending on the age of you child you might consider using a other type of glue. Like normal Elmer’s Glue. I know it will take a little longer to dry but it will be safe for your little ones!
- Multi pack of colored buttons to give live and color to your button caterpillar
- Pipe cleaner for the antennas
Trace the inside of your Mason jar lid onto your card stock 7 times and cut out the circles with scissors
Hot glue the sides of your circles together to make a long wavy caterpillar and start hot gluing your buttons onto each circle, using different colors for each circle (if you don’t have enough colors, do every other color)
Leave the 7th circle blank except for 1 black button towards the top side for the eye. Then cut a pipe cleaner to 4″ and bend it in half, then hot glue the middle to the back of the head. Now glue two smaller buttons onto the two pipe cleaner ends.
What did you guys think? Did you have fun building this adorable button caterpillar with your little ones? I hope you did! Comment on the section below. I am looking forward to hearing from you!
You may also like…
Did you know I also love food?
Pair this craft with some yummy recipes!
- Blueberry Protein Smoothie Bowl
- Delicious Penne Rosa – Make This Dish Today
- Quinoa and Black Bean Stir Fry