When I was a growing up one of my favorite dishes was spaghetti with meat sauce. I’ve always loved pasta but in Colombia, at least in my house, it was more a treat than an everyday thing. However, when I moved to the United States I started trying new different kind of pasta and sauces, therefore a whole new world of flavors that I’d never had the chance to try before was open to me.
After getting married, my husband and I decided to go to Noodles & Company and he ordered Penne Rosa, knowing how picky I can be, I asked if I would like it, and he said I should order it and find out. I don’t always try new things but I felt called that day to do it. End of the story, I ordered it and loved it. From that moment on I decided I needed to learn how to make this dish. After trial and error, I finally put together this recipe and once you try it you will be so thrilled you did!
- 2-3 Cooked and sliced chicken breast Boil or grilled
- 2 Tbps Avocado oil Or other high smoke point oil
- 1 Small Yellow onion Chopped
- 3 Medium cloves of garlic Chopped
- 1/4 Teaspoon Oregano Dried
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper This add heat to the dish
- 1 Pinch Red paper flakes
- 5 Medium Tomatoes Cut in big chunks, remove seeds
- 16 Oz Mushrooms Sliced, I like baby portobello
- 11 Oz Cooked penne Undercook for 2 to 3 minutes
- 1/4 Cup Red cooking wine
- 1 Teaspoond Chicken bullion I love Organic Better than Bouillon
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 3/4 Cup Marinara Sauce
- Parmesan cheese To taste
- Salt and Pepper To taste
Grill or boil chicken and set aside. Let the chicken rest at least 5 minutes before cutting it.
Cook your pasta according to the box instructions. Tip (Undercook them slightly by 2 to 3 minutes, your pasta will finish cooking when added to the other ingredients)
On medium high heat, add avocado oil and once is hot procede to sauté onions and garlic with oregano, cayenne and red pepper flakes. Cook them for about 5 minutes or till onions are translucent.
Add tomatoes and mushrooms, when the mushrooms start shrinking and releasing water add in your pasta and let it soak in all those delicious flavors for about 5 minutes.
Deglaze the pan with white cooking wine and add chicken bouillon. This gives an amazing flavor to the dish. Please don't skip this step!
Stir in milk and marinara sauce, once hot, add sliced chicken and integrate with the rest of the ingredients. Finally add baby spinach and cover for about 3 minutes until the spinach whiters.
Give a last stir so the spinach gets mixed in with the pasta and the rest of the veggies, add salt and pepper to taste (I always do it at the end).
Serve hot and top with TONS Parmesan cheese! Well, I like it that way 🙂
You May Also Like…
- Quinoa and Black Bean Stir Fry
- Mouthwatering CrockPot Chicken Tostadas
- Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 8 Reasons Why You Should Learn How To Cook